Because I'm starting this game next week and I'm actually pretty excited about it, I figured I'd go ahead and answer Jeff's twenty questions for Akenia. I also plan on working on more dungeons and monsters which I won't be posting quite yet because they are supposed to be a surprise, duh.
- What is the deal with my cleric's religion? - Akenia has no native gods. While there are a few who worship deities from afar, most priests are aligned with either Light or Darkness. These two forces have no real humanly discernible personality so how a particular cleric chooses to embrace their power is really up to them. The art of using such magic is studied by the academic and philosophical alike.
- Where can we go to buy standard equipment? - The best place for an adventurer to purchase the gear one would expect is "Tower Town", which is literally a thriving city that started as a large campsite around The Spire of Asmodal. Their whole economy is based of intrepid dungeoneers attempting to conquer the Spire while purchasing room, board, food and equipment from some of the many shops there.
- Where can we go to get platemail custom fitted for this monster I just befriended? - Beasts are frowned upon in Akenia Proper. If you trek with them, it may be best to venture towards the former empire of Calian, where they are known to accommodate such creatures.
- Who is the mightiest wizard in the land? - The amazing Dizer Gren, the supreme artificer and master of most magics. He has not been seen in years, having isolated himself in his mountain fortress Castle Gren. Approaching it unannounced rouses the attention of the Mecha guardians that regularly patrol the area.
- Who is the greatest warrior in the land? - Queen Regalia, the mightiest Battle Princess in all of the known world. She is famous for defeating Calian's champion, Gryvus Bloodlord in single combat and ending a centuries long war. Her verbal repertoire is as impressive as her martial skills and she is the most outspoken member of Akenia's "Council of Monarchs".
- Who is the richest person in the land? - Millius the Grand, the current overlord of the city of Mur. He has amassed a vast fortune over his long life, using it to throw a near constant celebration in his city of spectacle. No one knows exactly how long Millius' life has actually been, but he's appeared to be twenty-something for at least three generations now.
- Where can we go to get some magical healing? - Most cities will have clerics here and there, but there is no city that can match the healers in Radia, the crystal capital. On top of having the largest collection of clerics in all Akenia, it is also home to the Radiant Obelisk, an enormous crystal that empowers all light aligned magic cast in the city.
- Where can we go to get cures for the following conditions: poison, disease, curse, level drain, lycanthropy, polymorph, alignment change, death, undeath? - Radia again, though they'll more likely execute you for Lycanthropy or Undeath. An old witch resides near Pratz village and she is a more likely to help you with those two then anyone else.
- Is there a magic guild my MU belongs to or that I can join in order to get more spells? - Some Wizards will sell spells out of their books for cheap coin, but generally keep the good ones to themselves. You may have to go adventuring if you want powerful magic.
- Where can I find an alchemist, sage or other expert NPC? - While no one is really willing to admit it, the very best Alchemists reside in Mur. There they craft recreational drugs and even less savory concoctions for Millius the Grand. The most learned Sages are imprisoned in libraries of Gelna, for the dark knowledge within has driven them mad. Other great cities will have a populace of adequate specialists and a supposedly great scholar resides in River Town.
- Where can I
hiremercenaries? - Most cities are stocked with a handful of sell-swords, but Lekia is well known for being a hub for bandits, mercenaries and other killers for higher. Just watch your back and don't ask anyone for the time.
- Is there any place on the map where swords are illegal, magic is outlawed or any other notable hassles from Johnny Law? - Talda is the most active port in the land and once the most volatile. Now the use of vulgar magics is banned, and all weapons must be peace bonded before entering the city, whether it be by land or sea.
- Which way to the nearest tavern? - The Lapin Bleu is the most famous bar in all of Tower Town. Run by former adventurer Victoria Kline, its a place filled with young hopefuls and hoary old-timers who have a story to tell.
- What monsters are terrorizing the countryside sufficiently that if I kill them I will become famous? - The Judges are powerful armored beings that wander the land who slay anyone whose ever lifted a weapon with the intent to kill. Deathgaze is a great winged beast who attempts to slay any man who ventures in the sky and is much despised by airship engineers. Takoraina is an exceptionally annoying talking octopus that seems to be able to venture on land for long periods of time, much to everyone's dismay.
- Are there any wars brewing I could go fight? -Much of Calian seems unwilling to give up its war against Akenia, even after having their armies decimated a few years ago. Border skirmishes and guerrilla attacks against Akenian cities persist even now.
- How about gladiatorial arenas
completewith hard-won glory and fabulous cash prizes? - Mur is not called the city of spectacle for nothing. The coliseum there is quite active, and winners are often awarded with the greatest treasures of the whom those they best in the arena. All fights are to the death, the bloodier the better.
- Are there any secret societies with sinister agendas I could join and/or fight? - The Crimson Order is a mysterious group of people that enact numerous, seemingly unrelated plans that are rumored to be part of a much larger scheme, but no one can confirm what they are really doing. They sure aren't talking, at least not when they are in uniform.
- What is there to eat around here? - Have you tried Puella Potion's new line of candy? How about their Poko Pellets?
- Any legendary lost treasures I could be looking for? - Gryvus Bloodlord's famed sword, Apocalypse has been lost since his legendary defeat at the hands of Queen Regalia. The Cloud-Stone was hidden away in generations past, and is said to be the key to unearthing the Zephyr, an ancient air-ship. It is said that the Slumbering Titan houses the Chaos Crystal, which is the dark counter part to Radia's Radiant Obelisk.
- Where is the nearest dragon or other monster with Type H treasure? - The Demon Asmodal resides at the top of the spire named for him. Not only does his chamber contain the greatest treasure he has obtained, it is said that any one that conquers him in battle will be granted one wish.